Saturday, September 28, 2013

Spools of Thread

I have a shocking number of tiny spools of thread:

The black spools are leftover from pillow kits my sister and I made when we were in middle school! I kept them on hand for small hand-sewing projects when I needed a variety of colors at my disposal to match to fabrics.

A lot of them are red.

Many are blue or grey.

Did you know Fruit of the Loom made thread? I did not.

Since this year I am attempting to use my fabric instead of continuing to buy it without a project in mind (and making good progress!), I decided to extend that effort to tidying up craft supplies in general and include all the excessive red, blue, and grey thread.

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Orange and Green Paisley Quilt

I've had this lovely orange paisley, which originally debuted in a butterfly block for the still uncompleted Quilt Block Project, for quite a few years now. I decided it would be a nice fabric for this year's quilting goal of actually making quilts out of all the random fabric I've purchased without a specific project. Having cut into it for the butterfly block, I had less than a yard to work with, so I needed to pick a design that would both show it off and maximize its usage. If I could have found some more of the blue fabric I used in the butterfly block, I probably would have bought it, but since the other goal this year is to finish projects without buying yet more fabric, it's probably good that I didn't find any. Orange and green seemed like an odd combination at first, but I am really pleased with the way it turned out, and it's a nicely timed color combo for fall.

I debated at length how to finish the back without buying more fabric, but in the end I had to buy the solid orange fabric I used. I auditioned three fabrics I already had, but with only a yard of each, I didn't have enough of any of them, and I just didn't like them enough. The orange backing doesn't match the other orange fabric exactly, but that's okay. That one was too bright to use for the entire back. I would have liked to use green, but trying to find a coordinating green was even more difficult. The quilting is nothing special, just my go-to design, but I think it works well enough with the pattern.

New items purchased to complete this quilt: orange fabric for the back

Finished size: 37" x 49"

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Green Flannel Bears

Several years ago, I made a little bear out of green corduroy. I used the same pattern to make this little trio out of leftover flannel:

They are about 8" high. Of course I hadn't saved the pattern, and it took quite a lot of searching online to find it again. I don't really enjoy stuffing animals, but I was motivated to use up this flannel, the noses and eyes, and scraps of quilt batting. I save way too many batting scraps that are really only useful as stuffing.

The flannel was leftover from this bear, which I made in approximately 2002:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...