Earlier this year, we took a family trip to Florida. While at the airport, I had the brilliant brainstorm to make a fabric photo book for my niece. She's still a bit too young to be trusted with paper pages, but it was her first trip to Disney World, so I wanted to do something.
The book is 12 pages long. I think selecting the photos was the longest part of the process, with shopping for supplies a close second, as it required a lot of fusible supplies and many trips to multiple stores. Actually putting it together did not take that long. The paper mock-up I made to use as a guide helped make that process go smoothly. I used printable, fusible fabric sheets for the photos, and I was really
pleased how nicely they worked - both the printing and the fusing. I used fusible interfacing to stabilize the pages. The cover has fusible letters and a fusible applique. There was sewing involved in the creation of the pages and cover and binding them together.
Finished size: 8.75" x 8.75"
Saturday, August 29, 2015
Sunday, August 16, 2015
Saturday, August 15, 2015
Sunday, August 2, 2015
I had a yard of this polka dot fabric that I bought randomly and wanted to turn into a quilt. However, I couldn't settle on a design because I didn't really think it went with anything except black. When I saw this spiral design, I knew it would be perfect! It ended up requiring 8 yards of black fabric to complete it.
Quilting presented a challenge. I wanted to quilt the spiral design even in the solid black columns, so I went to the store to look for some way to mark on black fabric. All the markers said to mark on the wrong side of the fabric. I bought tailor's chalk, figuring chalk would be the most likely to easily wash out and it worked just fine! I went ahead and quilted it using teal thread.
|Pinwheel detail on back|
Since I only had a yard of polka dot fabric, I knew I was going to have to find a coordinating fabric for the binding because I didn't want to use black. This proved challenging. I imagined use a teal or turquoise binding, but those didn't look right. I took a scrap of polka dots to the store and purchased two failed options, so once it was quilted, I just took the entire quilt with me. I ended up using a lighter blue, which meant the teal quilting doesn't quite match, but it's only noticeable up close.
Finished size: 52" x 71"