Saturday, July 28, 2018

Piecing a Granny Square Quilt without Sashing or Blocks

After two scrap quilts, I still had a shoe box full of 2.5" squares of fabric, but I was left with a lot more of some fabrics and colors than others, so I needed a quilt design that worked with those imbalances. Granny squares provided the solution. In a three ring design, individual squares can be used for the center of the block, the inner ring only requires four squares, and the outer ring requires eight. I had previously made a granny square quilt that involved individual blocks and sashing. One of my scrap quilts involved a granny square design, though those also were able to be pieced as blocks due to the orientation. I knew I didn't want to using sashing or have seams between my blocks, so this quilt was going to have to be pieced in diagonal rows.


My 2.5" squares were organized in stacks, which were sorted by color and fabric. I started by reorganizing them into groups based on quantity. If I only had 1-3 squares of a fabric, it went into the group of fabrics that could only be used for the center ring. If I only had 4-7 squares of a fabric, it went into the group of fabrics for the inner ring. If I had 8 or more squares of a fabric, it went into the group of fabrics for the outer ring. Of course, the fabrics for the outer ring could also be used for the inner rings as well, and quantities left changed as I committed them to a block. I picked one fabric for the center, and coordinating groups of four and eight fabrics for the next two rings. Each group became a little pile.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Scrappy Granny Square Quilt

I started this quilt last year. Then we moved, and all the little squares got packed up. (Sound familiar? In two years, it's my second scrap quilt that's been interrupted by a move.) It completes my second 2018 goal. Even after two scrap quilts, I still had a shoe box full of 2.5" squares of fabric, but I was left with a lot more of some fabrics and colors than others, so I needed a quilt design that worked with those imbalances. Enter the granny square.


This quilt was pieced in diagonal rows to avoid sashing or seams between blocks. With 13 colored squares per "block" and 80 "blocks," this quilt involves 1,040 2.5" colored squares, plus 455 white pieces - 108 rectangles for the border and 347 interior squares - for a total of 1,495 pieces.


My previous granny square quilt had a big granny square block on the back, a design I wanted to repeat. I didn't have enough of one fabric to just do one block, so I extended the design. Unfortunately, it didn't quite align properly on the bottom and left sides. I quilted it in a grid pattern. The front uses white fabric, but the back uses a grey and white print since I didn't want that much white on the back, and I bound it in a grey and white polka dot fabric. 

Finished size: 66" x 85"

Want to make one? Check out the tutorial on how I pieced the top. 

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Blue and Beige Triangles


Another triangle quilt, though a slightly different design than the last two. This blue and beige print has been on my list of goals since 2016, so I've probably had it quite a bit longer than that. The blue arrow print was purchased right before our most recent move, but the other two blue prints have been in my stash awhile, as was the lightest of the beige prints. I finally made the decision to finish it up and purchased two beige prints, as well as solid beige and blue fabric, since my previous triangle quilts included solids. Originally, I planned a diagonal design, but, because the arrow print was a remnant, I didn't have enough fabric to do that and the solid beige fabric got eliminated in the redesign.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Baby Triangles, Version 2


I try to avoid making the same quilt twice, but I had a lot of fabric left over from last year's triangle baby quilt. Having bought it leading up to moving, I erred on the side of caution and bought more than I thought I'd need. Conveniently, my sister's friend was expecting a girl and using the same colors for her nursery, and the triangle design just comes together so quickly, plus I had leftover triangles already cut. I used up most of the peach fabrics, so I had to sub in a few fabrics Julie eliminated from her palette. I was worried it wouldn't look as good, but I like the darker pink.

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Barbie Dress


A lot of Claire's Barbie clothes are made of shiny material that frays easily, and there is usually a bit of mending for me to do when I visit. I wasn't looking forward to making an entire outfit, but one purple dress was coming apart so badly that I couldn't fix it. I brought it home and took it completely apart to use as a pattern. I wasn't sure how well it would fit, but it ended up fitting well enough. It's not particularly snug, but it's not too loose either, and a bit too big is better than a bit too small.

Barbie is also sporting a pink tulle veil Claire requested.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...