I got the image for this quilt in my head while working on rainbow mini quilts #1 and #2.
I am amazed at how well it turned out. I was very afraid the intersections wouldn't line up at all. It turned out exactly like I imagined it:
It wasn't until after I had finished it that it occurred to me to add some color to the corners, but by then I was nearly out of these scraps anyway. I considered cutting it into an octagon instead of a square but decided not to.
I finished the front but then could not decide what to do on the back that would be suitably match the front. Three weeks later, the solution popped into my head:
I would have liked a nice scrappy and colorful border, but I used up the very last of the purple on the back. The purple square is actually pieced from a longer, narrower scrap.That's the risk of working with scraps.
It was so pretty I just had to take some in progress pictures:
How I assembled it: