Back in May, I bought a jelly roll for $5. I'm glad I didn't spend more than that, because it definitely wasn't worth it. There were 2 strips each of 10 different fabrics. Jelly rolls are supposed to be 2.5" wide. I don't know if it's all jelly rolls, or just the one I bought, but the measurements on this one were severely lacking. All the strips were about 42" long, but most were not uniformly 2.5" wide. I noticed right away that one print tapered off, but the same problem occurred on several others that I didn't notice until now. Even on the ones that didn't taper severely were only 2 3/8" in some spots.
I decided not to use the butterfly fabric, so that left me with eighteen 42" strips. I was cutting 5" rectangles, so I should have been able to cut 16 rectangles from each print, or 8 from each strip, for a total of 144 rectangles. I ended up with 77. I was able to cut a full 16 from only 2 prints. Two prints only yielded 3, and 2 others yielded only 4.
The one I didn't use, the too narrow pile, and the actual rectangles:
At least I'll have a lot of scraps for the back or another project.
If I cut 15 rectangles from each of these 5 fabrics, I'll make up the difference that I need.
Fortunately I had a decent number of fabrics that coordinate. I just hope they blend well enough.