When my sister sent me a photo of Claire's new doll bunk beds, I noticed Gerber Baby was wearing a white eyelet skirt that we had dressed our dolls in, and I knew the Velcro was coming off of it. When Julie asked her if she needed new skirts for her dolls, Claire said "I do need more." The skirt in question was too big for her new doll, Echo, and a bit snug on Gerber.
Echo has a white body, so Claire wanted a white skirt for her, and, because it's too big, the old skirt is long enough that it looks like a ball gown on Echo, so she wanted the new one to be long as well. I found this very convenient trim at Joann's that was the perfect length to turn into a skirt.
Claire wanted a blue skirt with hearts for Gerber. Conveniently, my machine has a heart stitch. Inconveniently, I couldn't get it to sew more than one heart before bunching up. All my plan Bs for adding hearts involved considerably more effort than having my machine stitch them on. I didn't see any blue fabrics with hearts, I ruled out applique, and iron on patches were too big. Fortunately, I found this set of tiny heart buttons that matched the fabric I had. Despite having different size waists, both skirts are about the same length, but this meant Claire thought the blue skirt was too short for Gerber, since Gerber is a bigger doll. I didn't realize she wanted Gerber's skirt to be really long as well!