Sunday, December 17, 2017

3-D Printed Mailbox


It's the 10th anniversary of the ornament exchange so I 3-D printed a mailbox! I used a design I found on Thingiverse. It's not my first mailbox ornament, though it's a definite improvement, even though it's not technically an ornament since it doesn't hang. It was designed to be used as a bank, so it has a working flap so you can actually put things inside, which is awesome.

Door open



It was printed with white filament and I painted it with two coats of blue acrylic paint. I printed the USPS logo on sticker paper and applied them to either side before applying a coat of Mod Podge to seal it.



It printed in four pieces and comes apart in three so you can get any contents out. I made some tiny Christmas postcards to put inside, as well as some postcards representing all five states Amanda and I have lived in over the past 10 years. I debated decorating it more for Christmas, but since this could easily be kept out year-round, I decided to just add a string of lights that is easy to remove.


Want to 3-D print something? Check to see if your local library has a 3-D printer. That's where I printed mine!

Finished size: 2.25 x 2.25 x 5.25"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...