Sunday, February 5, 2023

Hunter's Star Quilt

I finished my first quilt since 2020! I started this quilt in 2020, right after I finished the fox and feathers quilt. I made a bunch of half square triangles, was not motivated to trim them, and set it aside. Then we moved again, and that managed to consume an entire year. I was finally motivated to pick it up again because I cut a bunch of triangles for another quilt, coincidentally featuring the scraps of the fox fabric, and decided I should finish this quilt before starting another. 

 

This butterfly fabric has been in my stash for a long time, and I love the colors in this quilt, but the hunter's star design would have worked better with eight fabrics instead of six. When I picked this project back up, I flipped through my design notebook and found a lot of calculations for cutting the fabric, and the color combinations of the blocks, but I did not find a full-scale plan for the quilt top. I decided to just make the blocks and then deal with the layout. That might have been my plan all along. 

 

Originally, my intention was to make it a full size quilt, but I am glad I decided to scale it back. I considered making two smaller quilts, but since I did not have a recipient in mind, I didn't really want to end up with two quilts, or have to make two backs, since I probably didn't even have enough fabric left for one. I was a little wary about making a reversible quilt because I thought quilting it would be a challenge, but it worked out pretty well. I didn't have a plan for quilting until I started pinning it, and I am very pleased with the design.

Finished size: 46" x 68"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...