Thursday, May 28, 2009

Quilt Block #37

I made this block on the spur of the moment last weekend, even though these fabrics had been sitting around awhile, as had the design for the block. I just love the paisley print! I think I might also try pairing it with green, as I had originally intended. Paisleys just offer so may possibilities! I would also like to try some smaller butterflies, even though the antennae require some hand-stitching. Maybe this one will not end up as part of the Quilt Block Project...

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Quilt Block #36

The center of this block was a block left over from Lily's quilt, so I decided to make use of it by enlarging it to fit the 12.5" dimensions of the Quilt Block Project. The edge was pieced using other leftover scraps.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Quilt Block #35

This is definitely my most favorite block of all! The color combination just makes me happy. Plus, it was a total improv block, and it turned out really well! It started out with the floral fabric triangle scraps. Originally it was going to just be the purple blocks with the triangles in the corners, but that was boring, so I added the polka dot strips through the middle of each. That step made the blocks too small, so I added the border. I really wish I had more of this floral fabric!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Quilt Block #34

After completing a disappearing nine-patch quilt, I was inspired to attempt a more complicated disappearing nine-patch design. This one took a little more configuring to make sure the heart would rotate correctly. I'm impressed the block finished with the correct dimensions since I completely improvised the heart design.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mini Irish Chain

I had cut 1.5" squares out of the scraps of this floral fabric quite a while ago, and last night I finally decided to do something with them. I was originally planning on pairing them with a combination of purple and yellow squares. Then I decided on an Irish chain design and had to go with yellow because I didn't have enough purple. This is a more subtle yellow fabric leftover from my star quilt, not the original yellow fabric paired with the flowers.

I think the front would have looked nice if the binding had been the floral fabric, but I didn't have enough left for that, and I like the yellow on the back. While this project didn't involve a whole lot of planning, the back is particularly improvised.

Finished size: 10" square

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Quilt Block #33

Spiderweb blocks seem to be extremely popular lately, so I thought I'd try one. The center is white in most of the blocks I've seen (and the "spiderweb" part is usually multicolored), but since this wasn't going to be placed next to other spiderweb blocks, I thought I'd give it a more colorful center. The "spiderweb" effect is created by the corners of the blocks matching up, but I really don't like that effect. I like the shape in the center better.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cathedral Windows 5

I think this one would probably look better with something other than the icky pink one at the bottom.

I was pleased with how well I was able to coordinate colors with this striped fabric.

I really like the combination of these colors!

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Quilt Block #32

I do love pinwheel designs! I also love the overlapping shades of blue in the design of this floral print.

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Quilt Block #31

This block is a little too pink. It's not exactly what I had in mind. I love this floral fabric, but it always ended up paired with purple and yellow, so I wanted to try something different.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cathedral Windows 4

This is my new favorite.

This one is a slightly odd combination of fabrics.

The airplane throws this one off a bit.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Quilt Block #30

This block begins the second wave of the Quilt Block Project. It was the first block I completed after I got my sewing machine repaired back in February. I had wanted to use this design for awhile and I think the monochromatic fabrics really help it stand out.

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Starry Scraps

I finally finished! This is a scrap project made almost entirely out of scraps leftover from the Disappearing Nine-Patch I made for my friend's wedding. It started out in March as an experiment in strip piecing. Then it sat around awhile while I decided on a design for the back.

The only non-scrap part is the light blue backing; however, I originally purchased it for a different project, so I didn't have to buy anything in order to complete it. I looove the stars that I quilted into it! It did require a lot of turning, but it was worth it for such a small project.

Finished size: 23"x30"

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cathedral Windows 3

I love this block! The green log cabin print is not my favorite fabric, but it blends in well with the others.

I like the way this block turned out too. The star fabric helps incorporate the yellow print, which is kind of a funky shade.

This is my least favorite block so far, I think because the fabrics are all so dark. Hopefully it will not stand out in the finished product.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...