Sunday, August 2, 2015

Polka Dot Spirals

I had a yard of this polka dot fabric that I bought randomly and wanted to turn into a quilt. However, I couldn't settle on a design because I didn't really think it went with anything except black. When I saw this spiral design, I knew it would be perfect! It ended up requiring 8 yards of black fabric to complete it.

Quilting presented a challenge. I wanted to quilt the spiral design even in the solid black columns, so I went to the store to look for some way to mark on black fabric. All the markers said to mark on the wrong side of the fabric. I bought tailor's chalk, figuring chalk would be the most likely to easily wash out and it worked just fine! I went ahead and quilted it using teal thread.

Pinwheel detail on back

Since I only had a yard of polka dot fabric, I knew I was going to have to find a coordinating fabric for the binding because I didn't want to use black. This proved challenging. I imagined use a teal or turquoise binding, but those didn't look right. I took a scrap of polka dots to the store and purchased two failed options, so once it was quilted, I just took the entire quilt with me. I ended up using a lighter blue, which meant the teal quilting doesn't quite match, but it's only noticeable up close.

Finished size: 52" x 71"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...