Miraculously, attaching the binding was not the disaster I anticipated. Another miracle was that I didn't put it off for too long in anticipation of the difficulty. Granted, the corner miters could look a bit better, but despite only being able to see one side as I bound it, the other side came out just fine, and everything was properly attached. I think the key was that I did not pin the binding; I simply worked on 8" sections at a time.
Some of my favorite blocks (besides the original inspiration):
Some close up shots of the quilted blocks:
This quilt is off to Wisconsin to live with my cousin whose apartment burned down a few months ago. She lost everything, so a quilt seemed like good housewarming gift as she moves into a new place next month.
Read more about the evolution of this quilt: progress post #1, progress post #2.
New items purchased to complete this project: one half yard of purple fabric for the binding, one spool of yellow thread, and one spool of purple thread
Finished size: 37" x 56"