Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pumpkin Pin Cushion

I'm on a bit of a pumpkin kick. I found the tutorial via One Pretty Thing and thought, why not add to my pumpkin collection? I don't really need another pin cushion, but it will go nicely with my yo-yo pumpkin.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Patchwork Pumpkin

Last weekend I discovered the tutorial for these stars, and, while browsing the rest of the blog, I saw a mini pumpkin quilt. I was inspired to make my own, and here is the result:

I just love cute little projects like this! Fortunately I do not lack for little orange scraps. It will go nicely with my little yo-yo pumpkin from last year. The leaf scraps are from my New Zealand bag.

Finished size: 8.5"x8.75"

Monday, September 13, 2010

Felt Star

I saw a variation of these on Flickr, with a link to this tutorial. I immediately wanted to make some as Christmas ornaments, but I decided to try it first with felt. It's just a pentagon within a pentagon. I was debating just gluing down the orange, but I decided to embellish it a bit with stitches instead. Now, I think I might just make some more with felt!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Jelly Roll Disappointment

Back in May, I bought a jelly roll for $5. I'm glad I didn't spend more than that, because it definitely wasn't worth it. There were 2 strips each of 10 different fabrics. Jelly rolls are supposed to be 2.5" wide. I don't know if it's all jelly rolls, or just the one I bought, but the measurements on this one were severely lacking. All the strips were about 42" long, but most were not uniformly 2.5" wide. I noticed right away that one print tapered off, but the same problem occurred on several others that I didn't notice until now. Even on the ones that didn't taper severely were only 2 3/8" in some spots.

I decided not to use the butterfly fabric, so that left me with eighteen 42" strips. I was cutting 5" rectangles, so I should have been able to cut 16 rectangles from each print, or 8 from each strip, for a total of 144 rectangles. I ended up with 77. I was able to cut a full 16 from only 2 prints. Two prints only yielded 3, and 2 others yielded only 4.

The one I didn't use, the too narrow pile, and the actual rectangles:

At least I'll have a lot of scraps for the back or another project.

If I cut 15 rectangles from each of these 5 fabrics, I'll make up the difference that I need.

Fortunately I had a decent number of fabrics that coordinate. I just hope they blend well enough.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Pink Star Quilt

It is finally done! I started these star blocks last October, so at least I finished in under a year.

The quilt top

The back
More star blocks
Mini star blocks
Lightning bolt blocks
Pattern for the lightning bolt block

Finished size: 42"x52"

Star blocks based on this tutorial.
Pattern for the lightning bolt block.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...