Sunday, December 18, 2016

Mini Quilt Ornament

A couple years ago I had the idea to make Amanda a mini-quilt ornament. I am glad I waited for inspiration because it is much better as a Lisa Frank mini-quilt ornament than anything I would have previously made! Each image is 1" square. I used Jolee's Easy Image transfer sheets. They were different than the printable, fusible fabric sheets I used for the fabric photo book I made last year. (Coincidentally, I used the same pink fabric for both projects!) Those were fabric-y -- you printed and ironed -- where these you print, iron, and peel off the backing for a transfer. These worked much better for this project.

Finished size: 4" x 5.5"

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Armadillo Ornament

In honor of the fact that Amanda and I now both live in states with armadillo populations, I decided to make her an armadillo Christmas ornament. My original plan was to get a plastic armadillo figurine and wrap it in a strand of tiny Christmas lights. Alas, armadillos do not seem to be popular plastic figurines. Instead I decided to use my transfer sheets to print an armadillo and transfer it on to fabric and stuff it. Once I thought of this, I did briefly consider making a more 3-D version, but I couldn't find a suitable pattern. This version is stuffed to add some dimension. Fabric sewn right on the edge of an iron-on transfer was not fun to turn, as the transfer made it stiff, but I persevered. Unfortunately, this version did not take kindly to being wrapped in a strand of tiny lights, and his head is not appropriately shaped for a Santa hat!

Finished size: 5" x 2.5"

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Rainbow Sprinkles Ornament

Once I saw an ornament with sprinkles inside, I knew I had to make one for Amanda. It was just too rainbowy not to! I used a heart shaped ornament because that's what I had on hand, but a round one would definitely be easier. The challenge with the heart shape is that the varnish pooled in the top of the heart and was much harder to get out and thus coat evenly. The sprinkles at bottom of the heart look much better because that varnish had dried longer. For as simple as this is, it does require a lot of attention. Nonetheless, it's so colorful that I may have to make one for myself!

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Unicorn Stamp Ornament

I started using a at work this year, and it includes this stamp image. When I saw it, I immediately decided to make a unicorn stamp for Amanda, which I set in this pendant to turn it into a Christmas ornament. I glued it in using Mod Podge. There's a bit of glitter glue around the edge and on the unicorn's horn. I then applied Mod Podge Dimensional Magic to fill in the pendant. The ribbons are glued to the back of the pendant with a little snowflake decoration.

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Split Rails Quilt

I have had this fabric a long time, and it was one of my goals to finally turn it into a quilt this year. It should have been one row wider, but, as I've been meaning to get around to this for awhile, I also bought the solid fabric sometime ago, hoping it would motivate me, and I didn't have enough for one more row.

Once the top was done, I put off quilting it because I didn't want to do straight, criss-crossed lines, but that's what worked best and I like how it turned out better than I thought I would.

Finished size: 60" x 84"

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Another Pair of Pink and Blue Ornaments

This is the third and last set of pink and blue ornaments! They are for Claire's friend Jack and his new sister. I made these over the summer as well, and I just had to wait for the new baby to arrive to finish up the personalization. The blue ornament is the same as the first two, but the pink one is more like another ornament I made that I really liked.

Try making one yourself with this tutorial!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...