Saturday, September 26, 2015

Red and White Redux

I spent the better part of 2015 working on this quilt in fits and starts. It is a revamp of fabric from my original red and white quilt, which I dismantled some time ago. It was from my early days of quilting and wasn't particularly stellar construction. I wanted to recycle the fabric into a new project, and I had some newer, somewhat coordinating, fabric to work in as well. 

I created the half-square triangles, and those sat around awhile. After a lull of much contemplation, I still hadn't figured out a design so I just decided to sew the squares into blocks of four. Then those sat around awhile. Once I finally settled on the arrangement for the blocks, I then couldn't decide if I wanted the center of the blocks to be red or white. I was leaning toward white, but everyone else said red, and eventually I came around to that choice. Assembly didn't take too long after that once I reached that point.

Finished size: 38" x 50"

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Unicorn Doll Quilt

I couldn't resist buying this unicorn fabric, but then, since I didn't have a project in mind, it just sat there. I finally decided to make a little doll quilt for my niece. She's just starting playing with dolls, and it is perfect for the wooden baby doll cradle my dad made when I was little.

I also made a matching cushion for the cradle:

Finished quilt size: 16" x 20"

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Velcro Pouch

My mom had a little drawstring pouch she used to hold her office keys, but the fabric was very thin and the keys wore through it. Since she doesn't sew, she stapled it back together. I offered to make her a new one. I opted for heavier fabric that will hopefully hold up better to the keys. This one is also lined, which the previous one wasn't, so that will help as well. Since this is a heavier fabric, I didn't think a drawstring would stay closed, so I went with Velcro instead.

Finished size: 4" x 4.5"

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Fabric Easter Egg

My sister and I have eggs very similar to this from our childhood, so of course my mom wanted me to recreate one for Claire. It is a Styrofoam egg with fabric stuffed into it. It just made sense to use the fabric from Claire's airplane quilt. Ours are a little different, and a bit smaller I think. The main difference is that our names were cross-stitched and there was lace around the name square. I didn't want to buy cross-stitch cloth for just a tiny piece, and I figured it would be much harder to cram that and lace into Styrofoam. This one isn't quite as tidy as ours, but I think it turned out decently. I'm not sure how it will hold up to being handled by a toddler though. 

Finished size: 4" high
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...