Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Weekend Progress

I had the unprecedented opportunity to take a Friday off, so I did, and a Monday too. I got more reading done than quilting, but I did make some good headway.

I put together the backing for the star quilt and got it pinned together:

I only had a yard of the black star fabric, which wasn't enough, so I had to improvise to finish it without buying any more fabric. It could definitely look better, but I'm content.

I also decided on a layout for my first Quilt Block Project quilt:

This is quite an achievement, since there are so many fabulous blocks to choose from, which was causing extreme indecision.

Of course, I originally intended to work on my crazy nine patch layouts. That'll be next on the list.

Finished Star Quilt.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Zack's Quilt


I finally finished it! It only took me about 2 years. I purchased the flame fabric back in February of 2009. I know I'd already cut up the t-shirts at that point, probably in 2008. The back is orange flannel, which makes it very soft with flannel on the back and t-shirts on the front. I've only used flannel to back one other quilt, but I rather like it. I actually only bought the flannel because it was on sale and it was orange. It's a combination of high school and college shirts, but since Zack is a much more enthusiastic alumni of Clemson, I went with an orange theme.

Finished size: 47"x56"

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Green Dragon

This is why I made the pink dragon as a prototype back in May:

The quilt may have dinosaurs rather than dragons, but who doesn't love wings?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Burp Cloths

I had a little bit of fabric left over from the dino quilt, so I decided to make some burp cloths.

I only had enough dinosaur fabric for two coordinating cloths, so I used some fabric left over from the puppy paw quilt to make another coordinated set.

The last pair uses another remnant from the puppy paw quilt, along with an airplane remnant from a blanket I made my sister while in college. It works out nicely since the baby's mom majored in aviation.

There are several tutorials for making burp cloths; however, I used one from the Diary of a Quilter that claims to be perhaps the easiest burp cloth tutorial ever, which is probably true since you start out with store bought cloth diapers.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Dinosaur Quilt

This is my second international quilt and my second baby boy quilt! It went to Qatar. (The first one went to New Zealand.) This quilt went through much deliberation at every stage: fabric selection, design of the top, and quilting design. My friend requested a green quilt, so I tried to incorporate as much green as possible, but it was tough to find greens that aren't leafy. When I saw the dinosaurs, I had to have them and the green dinos coordinated with the green bubble fabric I already had - yay! I chose a design to maximize the dinosaur print while also pulling in the orange and blue dinos too, though I think the orange fabric ended up overwhelming the green. Unfortunately, you can't see the quilting any better, but here's a better shot of the dino fabric:

Finished size: 30"x41"
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...