Saturday, October 30, 2010

Jelly Roll Quilt

This quilt was an experiment in washing. I always pre-wash my fabric. However, in this case, I ran into a problem. Some of the fabric had already been pre-washed, but I wasn't about to wash the jelly roll strips. I also don't wash quilts before giving them away, but I thought it would be wise in this case since I wasn't sure how the final product would come out of the wash. Overall, I am pleased with the results.

Before Washing
After Washing

Before Washing
After Washing

This quilt went to my dad. It's not really dad-sized, but it's a nice guy color theme. Plus, I sent one to my mom and made one for her cat, so I figured he deserved one too!

The pattern is a Moda's Avignon Picnic.

The quilt top
Jelly roll post #2
Jelly roll post #1

Finished size: 39"x58"

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Owl Key Chain Holder

I saw this project on Craft Passion (where I also found the turtle). Since Amanda enjoyed making the owl so much when she was here, I wanted to make one of these for her birthday. It's as close to Carolina blue as I could get.

Sunday, October 17, 2010


I decided my blue and yellow star quilt needed some more quilting. When I originally quilted it, I only quilted around the stars, which is not much quilting for a twin size quilt. I don't use it much, but I decided if I ever needed to wash it or wanted to give it away, it would need a little more stability. I quilted an inch inside the stars and an inch outside the stars. I did the same thing in the columns along the sides, along with quilting around the whole edge of the quilt. It would have been nice to do some fancy star designs, but I am just not that patient.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hello Kitty Bag

This Hello Kitty bag is made from recycled underwear. Yes, underwear. I couldn't pass it up, but it was not a style I really liked, and as a TJ Maxx purchase, there weren't many size choices - plus, I'm not the greatest at estimating the size of my butt when it comes to unknown brands of underwear - so they didn't fit very well. I had the ribbon on hand and the lining fabric was from my stash, so it ended up being a very economical project since I had a 50% off coupon for the black fabric.

I added the Sanrio tag to the lining of the bag:

Finished size: 7" x 8.5" x 3"

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tiger Paw Tote

A plain orange bag became a tiger paw tote with the help of a homemade stencil and some puffy paint. I first stenciled the tiger paw and then covered the stenciled area with a thicker layer of puffy paint. It's not exactly screen print quality, but it turned out pretty well. I was also pleased with how accurately my stencil came out since the real logo (below) has so many nooks and crannies. Zack says that's because the logo was created with an actual tiger's paw print.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Surprise Trip to Michaels

Last week I had to travel for work to a city I'd never been to before. I knew I had a busy conference schedule, so I didn't investigate what the city had to offer ahead of time. When I arrived I spotted a Michaels! Fortunately I had time to stop in. Oh, how I've missed Michaels, particularly the dollar bins! I got a few packs of note cards, along with the items pictured above. Yay for Halloween! The orange bag will be getting a Clemson tiger paw logo and the stickers will be perfect for Thanksgiving cards.

Finished Tiger Paw tote.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...